ARCHITECTURE AND TOURISM. Active students
An Initiative that shaped a new subject in architecture degree in Chihuahua, Mexico. The Projects of students are focused on the reinforcement of the touristic activities in Casas Grandes, a north Mexican town that has been renowned as one of the 121 “Pueblos Mágicos” (Magical Towns), a touristic program created by the Minister of Tourism of Mexico.
Because of the rules of the program, Casas Grandes, and other magical towns have found complicated to be benefited (economically) from this government touristic program. They need a preliminary architectural and urbanistic design done, but there are not enough resources to hire a specialist in the field before have the economics supports.
Therefore, it came to light the need to bring together university and social programs, actively and in a real way.
The subject was created to be implemented in the final year of college. And Its structure was designed to reinforce sustainable values, innovation, and interdisciplinary focus:
1. Masterclasses. Professionals from different fields help the students to open their perspective on the theme.
2. Bibliographic investigation. Students and teachers organize groups of work to investigate the different issues, on the basis of sustainability.
3. Field research. Study trip.
4. Field Analysis.
5. Conclusions. To determine what sustainable projects are the most feasible to the case of study.
6. Projects. Ideas proposal and development. Individual preliminary architectural and urbanistic projects.
7. Presentation to authorities. From the government and university.
There was proposed one integral group project divided into eight individual project proposals. That is a great advance to Casas Grandes people to complete the requirements of the Ministry of Tourism of México, to earn the financial backing.